Thursday, December 12, 2019

MacMichael MacFassbender

I started watching Macbeth the Movie, the one with Michael Fassbender (who played young Magneto in X-men movies btw) and Marion Cotillard (whom I love), but I'm not impressed. Everyone in the play is depressed, lethargic, and bored. Even King Duncan when he learns that the civil war in Scotland is over and he has won seems sad. The witches are so lethargic they look like they haven't had a meal in weeks. The movie has no stone castles, no suits of armor, no trumpets, and no energy, so I suppose it is more historically accurate than all other productions of Macbeth. Director Justin Kerzel makes Scotland look like a bleak, barren landscape with lots of geothermic steam coming out of many holes in the ground.

Despite its depressing impressions, there are several aspects I enjoy about the film:


1. Marion Cotillard--even though she is not convincing as a mean lady--evil? Yes, but not mean.

2. They omit a lot of lines from Shakespeare to focus on their own story they are trying to tell, not Shakespeare's.
3. Dead child at the beginning
4. King Duncan names Malcolm Prince of Cumberland during Act II inside Macbeth's nomadic tent home.
5. It is ULTRA violent.


No comments:

Post a Comment